It is twisted but digitizing the documents I have is so fun. I have items I to be excited about a second time. In late 2014 I ordered a round of documents to try to identify where in Hungary my Mother-in-law’s family immigrated from.
One of the documents I received is the Death Certificate for Elizabeth Nagy. Unfortunately, there was no specific town in Hungary listed but the certificate does include some previously unknown information. The biggest being Elizabeth’s non-Americanized name (Erzi) is listed on the certificate. The certificate also lists a cause of death. And another variation of the maiden name show up too. I now have three variations: Viro, Varro, and Verro. My last observation is that my younger daughter shares the same birthday as her great-great-great-grandmother.
Since this Death Certificate, I have used other records including marriage and baptism records from Hungary to identify Teresztyne, Abauj-Torna, Hungary as the birthplace of Erzsébet Varró.
Indiana State Board of Health
Bureau of Vital Statistics
Certificate of Death
Local No. 23
Registered No. 24051
- Place of Death: County: Lake, City: Whiting, Street Address: 1535 Steiber Street, Stay in community: 54 years
- Usual Residence of Deceased: State: Indiana, County: Lake, City: Whiting, Street No. 1535 Steiber Street
- Full Name: Erzi (Elizabeth) Nagy
- Sex: Female
- Color: White
- Single, Married, Widowed: Widowed, Name of husband or wife: John Nagy
- Birth Date of deceased: May, 15, 1870
- Age: 75 years, 3 months, 2 days
- Birthplace: Austria-Hungary
- Usual occupation: Housework
- Industry: Own Home
- Father’s name: Joseph Varro
- Father’s birthplace: Austria-Hungary
- Mother’s name: Unknown
- Mother’s birthplace: Austria-Hungary
- Informant: Mrs. Brice Voight – daughter, address: 1535 Steiber St., Whiting, Ind.
- Burial on 8/20/45 at ElmwoodCemetery, Hammond, Indiana
- Funeral Director: Irene Baran, 1231 119th St., Whiting, Ind.
- Filed 8-20, 1945 JA McDarthy
- Date of Death: August 17, 1945 at 10:30am
- I certify that death occurred on the date above stated; that I attended deceased from Feb 10, 1945 to Aug 17, 1945 and that I last saw her alive on Aug 16, 1945. Immediate cause of death: carcinoma of liver, duration 2 years, no operation, no autopsy
- Violence: no accident, homicide, or suicide
- Signature: Michael E Rafatz MD, address: Whiting Ind, date signed: Aug 20/45